Welcome to Eksjo!

 

Serving the Lord for 145+ years!

We invite you to join us in worship as we celebrate and grow!

Services Sunday mornings at 9:00am

Communion is served the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month.

Sunday School at 10:00am September – May

Our Mission Statement- “Standing in God’s grace, we strive to be the hands, feet and voice of Jesus at home and in the world”!

 

**********************************************

History of Eksjo Church

Our history at Eksjo really begins in Sweden, where economic, religious and social issues caused thousands of Swedes to emigrate to the United States.  Many of these Swedes settled in Minnesota, and in 1860 the Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod was formed by 36 Swedish congregations in the Midwest.  In the fall of 1871 the synod sent Pastor J. Magny to our area to form a congregation.  On October 16, 1871 seven families, one young woman, and ten young men met at the home of O.B. Anderson and adopted a constitution forming the “Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Eksjo” (Oak Lake).  Articles in Incorporation were filed on June 11, 1872.  The first elected trustees were Olaf Anderson, John Teg and Anders Hedlund.  The first Deacons were Nelson, C.O. Danielson, and C. Erickson.  The first confirmation class began in the fall of 1873 and was confirmed by Pastor Magny in March of 1876.  For the first five years families took turns hosting worship services in their homes.  In 1878 the first church was built. It’s dimensions were 24 feet wide, 30 feet long, and 12 feet high. At that time our congregation numbered 100 confirmed members and 150 children, and was being served by our first resident pastor, J.P. Mattson.  In 1879 a decision was made to build a parsonage just west of the church.  In 1884 the congregation voted to share a pastor with the newly-formed Strandvik congregation, and in 1885 the two congregation called P.P. Hedenstrom.  At this time the church building was enlarged to accommodate the growing congregation.  It’s length was extended by 10 feet, and a 14 foot balcony was built.  Currently Eksjo Lutheran Church is a member of the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America).  It is a part of the LAMP (Lakes Area Ministry Partners)  Parish made up of Augustana, Emmanuel and Eksjo Lutheran Churches.  More than 400 souls are buried in the Eksjo Lutheran Church cemetery.  The present congregation numbers include (?358?) baptized members and (?262?) confirmed.  Pastors Roy Noel and Laurie Albertson currently serve the LAMP Parish.

New Site Coming Soon!!